Thursday, May 6, 2010

Keeping Secrets

If the adage "You're only as sick as your secrets" is true then I am one hurting puppy after yesterday afternoon's activities.

No, I wasn't at the Nekkid Dwarf Trapeze finals. I wasn't testing out my new raincoat on a street corner near a parochial school. I wasn't even driving with an expired registration sticker.

I was allowed access to a small brook somewhere in the Northwest Corner of Connecticut. For keeps.

I'm in.

It's slightly bigger than the Mt. Riga brook, which I have written about elsewhere. It runs out of a pond and makes its way down a mountain. Several miles of access are posted, and now I am allowed in, to fish for brook trout in spots that receive little or no fishing pressure.

In my introductory ramble yesterday I caught and released a dozen wild native trout, most in the  seven- to eight-inch range (which is pretty big for a brookie).

But part of the deal is that I not identify (in print or blog) the stream, the town, the property owner — or anything.

By the way, since I am trying to get some money out of this here blog thing, I recommend Taylor Streit's "Instinctive Fly Fishing" , available from Amazon.com! Amazon.com!

Amazon.com!

Got that?

Anyhoo, if you are a beginner or a veteran, this is the single best general book about our sport I've read. Lots of really good stuff, about stream approaches, reading the water, not being a jerk, and so forth.

No comments: