I despise Thanksgiving and Christmas. There — I said it.
1. I resent being expected to be jolly on cue.
2. I have nobody to be jolly with, anyway, so screw it.
3. Because I am such a high roller, in my career I've always had to work holidays, or work right up to them, or work extra beforehand to avoid being swamped afterwards. This effectively negates the time-off factor.
4. I have to travel vast distances to be with family — either 300 miles round trip for one meal, or 600 miles round trip for one week, which turns out to be five days.
5. At any gathering (even the ones for the sad sack crowd, sponsored by AA or churches) I am the odd man out — the only single male, the only person under 70, the only person over 35.
And that's why I hate this time of year, and keep my participation to the bare minimum.