Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mystery Brook




I fished one of my favorite small streams in northwest Connecticut this evening. It runs through private property and the landowner asked me not to publicize it, so that's why I'm being cagey.

There are two stretches: one upstream from a bridge that stays close to the road and is relatively easy to get into, and a much longer section that runs through a steep gorge. It is perfectly possible to clamber 20-odd feet up some boulders and get a look at the next pool from eye level. And if you've never watched a fly floating at you from water level, and have a fish take it, well, it's different.

The water was warmer than I expected, and the brook trout a little sluggish, but I managed to land a few. They are spirited critters, and shake a hook much more decisively than their cousins in the big rivers.

No comments: