Friday, January 18, 2013

Memory Lane Strikes Again



I don't know why but I was thinking about this trip a few years back. The guy on the left, Mike Z., needed company as he met with his soon-to-be ex-wife and I got the nod.

The idea was to provide some kind of support as he negotiated this difficult moment, and to help keep him from getting sozzled if it didn't go well.

It didn't go very well, but it wasn't a complete disaster, either.

Afterwards we got out of our suits (Jos. A. Bank for Mike, which he had bought when he was much heavier, and vintage Brooks Bros. for me) and farted around Kittery, Me., where I learned that a "lobster roll" is nothing more exotic than lobster meat and mayonnaise on a hot dog bun. Big whoop, frankly.

Unfortunately the next time I visited Kittery was for Mike's funeral. He never did get it, but he was a decent guy.


No comments: